At McGowen Hurst Clark Smith, we understand our people are our greatest asset. Our continued success means challenging opportunities for you. We offer a professional work environment and a friendly team atmosphere for regular full-time and part-time professionals. We also have openings for individuals interested in a "tax season" only schedule and internships for college students. We are able to be flexible with our work arrangements since we hire professionals that are focused on providing outstanding client service.
Below are our current openings.
POSITION: TAX SUPERVISOR
Job Type: Full - Time
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares paperwork for local, state and federal level returns
- Assists Manager with delivery of client service and maintains profitable client relationships by acting as a trusted advisor
- Supervises the work of Senior and Staff Accountants
- Has developed networking relationships and is a part of applicable networking groups
- Keeps current on all CPE requirements and applicable law changes/updates
- Builds relationships within the firm and encourages staff to do the same
- Is familiar with and supports firm processes and procedures
- Participates in Lifetime Learning program to progress in current role
- Assists in administrative functions and completes other duties as assigned
Education – Bachelor’s degree in accounting required; Master’s degree preferred.
Knowledge – Federal, state, and local level regulations, proficiency in use of computer tax preparation,
research, business trends and tax planning software programs.
Skills – Judgment, planning, goal setting/accomplishment, excellent people skills to interact with clients
and firm members, outstanding communication skills, initiative, positive attitude, team oriented, efficient,
and proficient in Word, Excel, Engagement and online research
Experience – At least two years as a Senior Accountant
Exams – CPA, in good standing, with at least four years of applicable experience
Travel: Very little, if any, out of town travel
This job description does not list all of the duties of the job. You may be asked by other supervisors, managers or partners to perform other instructions and duties as well. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Overview of Program:
- Four-week internship program that runs after the fourth of July to the beginning of August offering exposure to all departments throughout the firm.
- Guaranteed 32 hours per week working Monday – Thursday.
- Three students would be hired into the program to experience various departments.
- Executive Group would take students to lunch and talk about CPAmerica
- Students would spend most of their time in Audit, due to the time of year
- Visit with Firm leaders to learn more about the profession/different industries
- Assist Marketing and WAI with various projects
- Students would get to participate in shadowing opportunities with staff
- Work on projects that give feedback to leaders regarding the latest in benefit trends and recruiting
- Students would get to attend client shadowing opportunities
- Students would participate in applicable in-house CPE
- Students would have a team project as well as individual project; Ex. Latest in benefit trends, recruiting, and industry trends.
- Enjoy possible “fun” activities such as Escape Chamber, Up/Down, and Corporate Games
- Students must be enrolled in the Accounting major
- Students should be within two years of graduation
- Must have a GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Must be interested in public accounting after graduation
- Must have excellent communication and computer skills
- Must be client focused
BUSY SEASON INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
MHCS offers internship opportunities during our busy season. Interns will gain valuable experience during their time with the firm that is similar to what a Staff Accountant gains their first year with us. Eligible candidates will be Accounting majors who have completed their junior or senior year, have a G.P.A. of 3.2 or higher, be interested in public accounting after graduation, possess excellent communication and computer skills, and be client focused. Internships can be either full-time or part-time. We are willing to be flexible with school schedules. Recruiting for this opportunity begins in the fall each year. Decisions regarding what candidates will be chosen for the internship positions will be decided by December. 1st. Interns will join the firm in mid-January and the internship will conclude April 15th.
We offer a competitive salary, great benefits and a professional work environment. We value the opportunity to grow our individuals both personally and professionally while striving to meet firm goals.
To apply, mail or email your cover letter indicating the position of interest with salary requirements to our Director of Human Resources, Cindy Wubben, for consideration.
McGowen Hurst Clark Smith
1601 West Lakes Parkway, Suite 300
West Des Moines, IA 50266